Our cornerstone on which Fifty7Kind is built, the heart of our foundation is sustainability and transparency, but how do we create a consumer product while negating our impact on the planet? I have and do continue lose sleep over this never ending quest, so let's take five, grab a cup of tea/coffee while we go behind the 'brand' and show you (not tell you via greenwashing marketing spin) how Fifty7Kind is doing what is right for the planet.
Cornerstone - ‘an important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based’
My daily mantra is asking myself the question “is this the best decision I can make today with the resources I have available"?
At Fifty7Kind I concentrate on making fewer products that are expertly formulated offering multi-beneficial skin results. I will innovate and elevate the formulation of an existing product, as I have with TANU v.2, rather than bring out another similar product. A tightly curated line of self-care products offering not only efficacy but multi-use-capabilities is another important step in limiting our carbon footprint - this is doing more with less. This is my Earth-First philosophy.
Manufacturing and distribution of any consumable product including skincare create carbon emissions, as does the supply chain - this includes: sourcing of ingredients and packaging components that all contribute.
Carbon emissions matter, greenhouse gasses are contributing towards climate change preventing heat escaping out of the atmosphere; more extreme weather worldwide. Here in Australia we are seeing longer bushfire seasons, with larger and more intense fires that are wiping out the natural habitat of our native animals, and our unique rich biodiversity, destroying lives, homes and businesses.
Recently in 2022 mass floods - that were 'once in a hundred years events' are now happening far more frequently, with long drought in other regions, along with rising sea levels are becoming a major concern - approximately 80+% of Australia's population live near to the ocean.
Since January 2022 we started to offset our Supply Chain Emissions - with the GoGreen climate neutral service, as part of our shipping partnership (for both imports and exports) with DHL Express. The GoGreen program offsets our greenhouse gas logistics emissions through investments in internationally recognized climate protection projects.
We are constantly striving to create a positive impact on our environment with our business practices, this commitment includes:
- Planting one tree in Australia - for every online order of NADI
- Offsetting - our international shipping carbon emissions
- Offsetting - our international import and export carbon emissions
- Sustainable + Traceable - to source, fair trade, raw ingredients
- FSC-Certified - Printed material
- Slow, artisan methods - consciously created, in micro-batches, minimal but multi-functional products made with intent and by hand!
- FSC-Certified Packaging - using plant based inks and glue printed at a local Australian carbon neutral printer
- Addressing the global plastic pollution crisis - by housing our precious formulations in fully recyclable Miron Glass bottles and Jars
- Packaging Peanuts - 100% biodegradable, water soluble and compostable at home
- Black Shipping Box - 100% post consumer waste and recyclable
- Wrapping + Tissue Paper - Is made in Australia, with 100% solar energy, certified sustainable plantation forest pulp, Australian made plant based inks, and zero footprint carbon offset natural gas
- Compostable Courier Satchels - also known as ‘Real Dirt Bags’ Bio-based, partly made from plants, biodegradable with no toxic residues (or micro-plastics) these are compostable at home
- Compostable Shipping labels - Compostable at home
- Digital Paperwork - reducing the need to waste paper resources and printing
- Compostape Cello Tape - Made from 90% renewable resources derived from plants while the adhesive is made from natural rubber, home and Biodegradable
- Product Stickers - Our labels (currently used on NADI and Tanu 5ml) are made from industrial waste and single use plastic giving it another life, printed with plant-based ink at an Australian carbon-neutral printing manufacturer.
- Product Screen Printing - Tanu | Skin Affinity Coactive Serum 20ml Miron glass bottle is screen printed in Australia with pant based inks, we are gradually using up existing stock and moving towards all bottles and jars being screen printed.
Life in my opinion, is 'work-in-progress', I feel the same about my Company, Fifty7Kind. Each day is an opportunity to learn, evolve, be better and do better, we no longer have the time to endlessly debate 'global warming'; we are already experiencing its effect. We HAVE to act now, do what we can each day to make earth-first choices, every single small conscious act matters, we can each be and make the changes, shifting from being part of the problem to being part of the solution.
Much love Gabrielle
Founder + Formulator