Annual blue tansy Tanacetum annuum L. is a Mediterranean species, largely widespread in the North of Morocco. It is an aromatic plant with the erected stems, pennatilobate leaves and yellow capitules made up of identical florets.
skin-calming Blue Tansy
Violet-blue botanical compound Chamazulene is found in Roman and German Chamomile, Yarrow, Wormwood, California mugwort, Elecampane, and Blue Tansy. The greater the content of chamazulene, the higher the antioxidant activity of the essential oil. Blue Tansy is the most potent due to its high content the Chamazulene compound, therefore, it is the more 'active' essential oil.
Effective for treating irritated and inflamed skin conditions such as eczema and sun damage. Acts on a cellular level, relieving heat to reduce skin inflammation. A-bisabolol compounds work synergistically with German 'blue' Chamomile to better penetrate the skin ensuring the highest possible efficacy.
The Primary Constituents found in blue tansy essential oil include:
- Sabinene 30.68%
- Camphor 8.81%
- Chamazulene 8.24%
- Alpha phellandrene 7.65%
- Dihydro chamazulene 6.34%
The term “azulene” was introduced by Piesse, who suggested the name for the blue-colored constituent of Chamomile Oil and related plants, in the 1800s. The name was chosen for color, rather than the aroma.
Azulenes are the compound group of which the constituent chamazulene, from chamomile (cham for the plant, azulene the compound group) resides. It is most frequently found within the essential oil-bearing plants of the Asteraceae family and is directly responsible for the different variables of blue seen within oils and extracts. These include:
- Artemisia arborescens (Worm Wood)
- A. douglasiana (California mugwort)
- Tanacetum annuum (Blue Tansy)
- Achillea millefolium (Yarrow)
- Chamaemelum nobile Matricaria (Chamomile)
- Inula helenium (Elecampane) also known as Horse-heal or Elfdock
Skin Care Benefits
- Providing soothing calming & cleansing action
- Helpful for burns, blisters, inflamed wounds, ulcers, dermatitis, eczema, rashes, wounds, and hypersensitive skin problems
- A natural antihistamine
- Smoothes out broken capillaries, improving elasticity and tissue strength.
- Antioxidant properties help prevent premature aging caused by free radicals.
REPORTED THERAPEUTIC PROPERTIES:
- Stimulates androgenic hormone production.
- Analgesic (pain relief).
- Nervine (calms and soothes the nerves).
- It supports the respiratory system.
- Grounding, relaxing, releases past trauma and emotional blocks.
- Reduces excess mucous.
- Supports tissue regeneration.
- Reduces anxiety, relaxing, sedating.
- Stress management reduces anger.
- The name ‘azulene’ was attributed to blue oils by a scientist based on their color, not their aroma. Chamazulene was given it’s ‘cha’ from being first discovered in chamomile.
- It helps decrease inflammation by mildly inhibiting the enzyme that is involved in the inflammation response according to research.
- Blue tansy inhibits the growth of common food fungi, including Botrytis cinerea, Helminthosporium oryzae, Alternaria solani, Piricularia oryzae, and Verticillium dahliae.
- While azulene most often occurs naturally in plants, chamazulene is a by-product that results from a long process of applying pressure and heat during steam distillation.
- The ability of chamazulene in free radical scavenging is what is thought to responsible for its effectiveness in treating inflamed skin conditions
- In a recent study into the Antioxidant Activities of Essential oils i.e. the ability to scavenge free radicals, demonstrated Essential oils obtained from the families of Asteraceae (sunflower family) blue tansy oil, (Morocco) was found to be the most active. The uncontrolled production of oxygen-derived free radicals is involved in triggering degenerative processes associated with aging.
Botanical Name: Tanacetum annuum
Part: Aerial parts of flowering plant
Extraction: Steam Distilled
Appearance: Rich blue
Cultivation: Certified Organic
Aroma: Sweet, fresh scent
Psychological // Emotional: Soothing, calming & grounding
I have chosen to incorporate Blue Tansy into my formulation of Certified Organic Hero Serum simply put it is a powerful, active ingredient that soothes red, irritated skin and inflamed reactive skin due to it's strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The sweet fresh aroma relaxes the nervous system and is emotionally grounding.
Until next time..
be human | be kind | be you
- BOOK: Johnson, Dr. Scott A.. Evidence-Based Essential Oil Therapy: The Ultimate Guide to the Therapeutic and Clinical Application of Essential Oils
ANTIOXIDANT AND FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING ACTIVITIES OF ESSENTIAL OILS: Mahmoud A. Saleh, PhD; Shavon Clark; Brooke Woodard; Suziat Ayomide Deolu-Sobogun.