Healthy skin depends on the integrity fo the Stratum Corneum (SC) (Latin for horny layer) this is the outer most layer of your skin. The functions of the SC is to form a barrier to protect underlying tissue from infection, dehydration, chemicals and mechanical stress. Skin concerns can occur when the ratios of fatty acids and lipids are out of balance. Low linoleic acid levels in the skin can result in a compromised barrier in other words it becomes permeable, leading to a dry scaly skin along with slow healing wounds. Fat soluble Vitamin A found in plant oils is beneficial for skin concerns for example Acne.
How Vitamin A Supports Skin Ageing
Vitamin A (Trans-Retinoic Acid and Carotenoids) - Is a fat soluble vitamin and plays a vital role in the health of your skin. It helps to delay the effects of skin ageing, assists with cell regeneration, and promotes collagen and elastin levels. This results in firmer, smoother, and more youthful skin with greater elasticity. Vitamin A is an antioxidant and it helps to reduce inflammation by fighting free radical damage. Applying and consuming organic sources of Vitamin A will naturally slow the ageing process.
Carotenoids - Are the precursors of Vitamin A and are exclusively found in botanical sources. Carotenes are oil soluble and protect the skin against UV rays by halting free radical damage. Deeply coloured botanical oils are rich in carotenes ranging from orange to orange red in colour.
6 Plant Based Sources of Vitamin A1. ROSEHIP CO2 EXTRACT
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE //
Rosehip is from the fruit of the rose plant, this botanical contains the highest amount of natural Vitamin A. This extract helps to regenerate cellular membrane and tissue (essential for cell repair and renewal and cell turnover)
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant due to high levels of vitamin E
- High in natural fatty acids // vitamins // antioxidants work synergistically to fight hyperpigmentation // sun damage // scars or burns and promote an even skin tone // combat stretch marks // acne scars // wrinkles because of ability to boost cell repair and control free radicals that can cause early signs of ageing.
Vitamin A - Well-known for its high concentration (the highest of any pure
botanical oil) of natural vitamin A – all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA)
ATRA - Is known for its potent ability to reduce the depth of wrinkles, fade fine lines, lighten age spots, and promote over-all healing of damaged skin by boosting the growth rate of new cells and increasing collagen production deep under the skin’s surface
Antioxidants - Contains high levels of Beta-carotenethe (precursor to Vitamin A) and Lycopene.
Lutein - A potent antioxidant which not only shields skin from your phone and laptop's blue light, but also from atmospheric pollutants like particulate matter's (PM) heavy metals and chemicals.
Lycopene - Belongs to a general group of more than 600 fat-soluble plant compounds known as carotenoids. Lycopene is also classified as a carotene, which gives many fruits and vegetables their bright yellow, red, and orange color. Aside from performing vital functions during photosynthesis, carotenes are also important free radical scavengers that protect the organism from overexposure to damaging UV-light. Lycopene's antioxidant and UV-blocking capabilities naturally make it a valuable weapon in the battle against aging skin.
2. POMEGRANATE CO2 EXTRACT
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE // The oil is an ultra light, and highly absorbent oil
- High amounts of vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Rich in Punicic Acid - Which promotes collagen production and slows its disintegration, aiding in the prevention of wrinkles, as well as the healing of acne, wounds and scars.
- Anti-inflammatory properties which dramatically reduce redness and brighten the skin.
- Potent anti-oxidant and free-radical scavenger that helps reduce the appearance of age lines and wrinkles.
- The bioactive compounds - protects from environmental stresses caused by UV radiation.
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE // This is highly moisturising and revitalising oil
- Rich in vitamins A, E and minerals
- Contains collagen - Boosting plant Sterolins - reduce blemishes and also relieve damaged skin in particular damage caused by sun exposure
- Oleic Acid and other fatty acids in avocado are known to help the body heal, boost cell regeneration and fight free radicals
- Antioxidant rich - helps protect against pollution.
4. SEABUCKTHORN CO2 EXTRACT
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE // Contains Vitamin A and Beta-carotene and trace elements copper, iron, selenium, and manganese
- Softens and Hydrates - High Vitamin E content, this oil will deeply penetrate the skin layers holding hydration and softening the tissue.
- Acne - One of the best-known oils for combating acne, it softens, smooth’s and strengthens the skin and reduces scarring, swelling, and inflammation, allowing the skin to break the inflammatory cycle and heal itself
- Pro-vitamin A - Rebuilds the skin and it converts to vitamin A
- Contains approximately 190 bioactive substances including:
- Saturated fatty acids - Palmitic acid C16:0, stearic acid C18:0,
- Unsaturated fatty acids - Eicosanoic acid, oleic acid, palmitoleic, linolic acid, alpha-linolenic acid, gamma-linolenic acid.
- Plant Sterols - Strengthening the lipid barrier of the skin
- Approx. 14 vitamins - A, D, E, F, K, P, and B complex vitamins (B1, B2, B6), provitamin A, that is alpha- and beta-carotene, mixture of other carotenoids (up to 180 mg%),
- Strong Antioxidants - Tocopherols, tocotrienols), flavonoids (approx. 36 types) High in Carotenes (resulting in a deep orange/red coloured oil)
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE // It is a potent skin healer
- High vitamin E - A potent anti-oxidant, it reduces skin damage and mops up free radicals that contribute to skin-ageing
- High Carotenoids (vitamin A) content - strong antioxidants that play a crucial role in the health of our skin. They inhibit UV damage and stimulate cell repair.
- 83 % Essential Fatty Acids - Contains a high amount of Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids with Linoleic acid (omega 6) being 52-56% and Alpha-linolenic acid (omega 3) at 29-33%
- Linoleic Acid - This fatty acid is anti-inflammatory, regenerates cells, brings moisture to the skin and gives the oil a light consistency
- Contains Elegiac Acid - This compound has been shown to reduce the destruction of collagen as well as protecting against ultraviolet damage from the sun.
- Phytosterols - Their antioxidant activity prevents skin damage, encourages healthy skin growth and may protect against cancer. They encourage new collagen production, leading to healthier, younger-looking skin.
6. CARROT ROOT CO2 EXTRACT
SKIN BENEFITS INCLUDE //
- Carotenoid - The carotenoid family includes alpha and beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin and lycopene
- High Carotenoids (vitamin A) content - Strong antioxidants that play a crucial role in the health of our skin. They inhibit UV damage and stimulate cell repair.
- Beta Carotene - The other type of Vitamin A, which is obtained from colorful fruits and vegetables, is in the form of “pro Vitamin A” namely carotenoids.
- Lutein - A potent antioxidant which not only shields skin from your phone and laptop's blue light, but also from atmospheric pollutants like particulate matter's (PM) heavy metals and chemicals
Lycopene - A powerful antioxidant (part of the more than 600 fat-soluble plant compounds known as carotenoids) that helps protect and repair skin from premature ageing caused by modern living and environmental stressors. Topical application of lycopene combats age-causing free radicals and assists in metabolic functions related to growth and repair. Important free radical scavengers that protect from overexposure to damaging UV-light. Lycopene's antioxidant and UV-blocking capabilities.
EAT SOME A'S
Skin health is not just from topical application, what you eat is of equal importance...
Eat the following Organic // Chemical Free foods which pack a potent punch of Vitamin A:
Eggs // Carrots // Liver (or powdered liver) // Kale // Pumpkins // Tomatoes // Spinach // Sweet Potatoes // Dried Apricots // Tuna Fish // Red Capcicum
Don't Forget Carotenoids - These are are group of Phytochemicals (pre cursors to Vitamin A) that are compounds found in plants and help to provided protection against disease and reduce inflammation. They are high in antioxidants which help to protect the skin from sun damage find them in:
Avocardos // Eggs // Watermelons // Leafy Greens // Mangoes // Plums // Peas.
Until next time..
be human | be kind | be you
- Mack Correa, M.C.; Mao, G.; Saad, P.; Flach, C.R.; Mendelsohn, R.;Walters, R.M. Molecular interactions of plant oil components with stratum corneum lipids correlate with clinical measures of skin barrier function. Exp. Dermatol. 2014, 23, 39–44.
- Book: Power Of the Seed - Susan M Parker. (2104)