In the ever-evolving world of skincare, Bakuchiol (Sytenol® A), is a rising star that has garnered attention for its potential to provide lasting cosmetic benefits. This natural alternative to retinol is gaining popularity for its gentle, yet powerful effects on the skin. Let’s explore the cumulative cosmetic effect of Bakuchiol and understand why it’s capturing the hearts of skincare enthusiasts and professionals alike.
What is Bakuchiol ?
Bakuchiol is a plant-derived compound extracted from the seeds of the Indian Babchi plant (Psoralea corylifolia). It has earned the nickname “nature’s retinol” due to its striking similarity in function to retinol, without the potential side effects and skin sensitivity that often come with the latter. It is important to note that the clinical trials that refer to “Bakuchiol” relate to the Trade Name “Sytenol® A” by Sytheon Ltd, 99%+ pure bakuchiol and the only REACH registered and China-allowed bakuchiol with a complete toxicology dossier. Side-by-side with retinol, only Sytenol® A has been scientifically validated in its ability to reduce wrinkles, photoaging and hyperpigmentation as efficiently as retinol, but with a better skin tolerance. This is the High Performance Active (H.P.A) incorporated into TANU Skin Affinity Coactive Serum, FIFTY7KIND’S Multi-Phyto-Retinol Clarifying Concentrate.
What is the Cumulative Effect?
The cumulative effect in skincare refers to the benefits that accrue over time with regular and consistent use of specific skincare ingredients or products. Rather than expecting immediate and dramatic results, this concept recognises that some skincare ingredients require prolonged use to reveal their full potential. The magic happens gradually, with improvements becoming more apparent as time goes on.
Patience is Key
In our fast-paced world, instant gratification often takes center stage. However, when it comes to skincare, patience is truly a virtue. It’s easy to be swayed by advertisements promising overnight transformations, but the reality is that many ingredients work their magic beneath the surface before delivering noticeable results. Be prepared to commit to your skincare routine for weeks or even months before reaping the full rewards.
The Cumulative Effect of Bakuchiol
The cumulative cosmetic effect of Bakuchiol is its ability to promote healthy, radiant skin over time with consistent use. Here’s how Bakuchiol achieves this and why it’s generating buzz:
- Antioxidant – Interferes with different free radical-producing systems, also increases the function and effectiveness of endogenous antioxidants.
- Anti-inflammatory – It effectively reduces inflammation components of problematic skin conditions.
- Collagen And Elastin – It stimulates collagens type I, III (older fibroblasts) and IV proteins, maintains the desired level of elastin required for maintaining the connective tissue structure due to its up-regulation of elastase inhibitor (PI3)
- Skin Hydration – Increased expression of two Genes responsible for maintaining the right level of skin hydration, elasticity, and barrier recovery and water barrier formation and is required for correct tight junction formation.
- Anti-Acne – Effectively inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria and is more effective when combined with salicylic acid.
- Skin Lightening and Even Toning – Reduces acne related post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, also shown to inhibit melanin production.
- Antimicrobial – An effective antimicrobial ingredient against both Bacteria and Fungi, offering broad spectrum antimicrobial protection.
- Photostability – Sunlight can lead to degradation, alteration or the breakdown of molecules, making an ingredient less effective or even harmful to the skin. However, a photostable skincare ingredient maintains its chemical structure even when exposed to light, because Bakuchiol is photostable, you can use TANU Skin Affinity Coactive Serum during the day and/or at night.
- Suitable for all skin types – Being gentle on skin, most people can use bakuchiol. (Always do a skin patch test before using any new product.)
- Doesn’t cause dryness or irritation – While retinol may dry out skin or cause irritation, bakuchiol is more gentle and isn’t known to cause any irritation.
Studies indicate skin improvements are noted after just 4 weeks, significantly more improvement were noted after 8 weeks, these improvements continued to increase, even faster after 12 weeks of application, indicating a cumulative, beneficial skin effect over time.
Incorporating Bakuchiol (Sytenol® A) into your skincare routine can lead to a noticeable cumulative cosmetic effect that unveils your skin’s radiant potential. Its gentleness, combined with its long-term benefits, makes Bakuchiol a valuable addition to your beauty regimen. So, consider adding this nature-inspired, retinol alternative ingredient to your daily skincare routine and embark on a journey toward healthier, more radiant skin, your future skin will thank you!
until next time, be human, be kind, be you.
- Bakuchiol: A Retinol-Like Functional Compound, Modulating Multiple Retinol and Non-Retinol Targets. Ratan K. Chaudhuri.
- Lyons AB, Kohli I, Nahhas AF, et al. Trichloroacetic acid model to accurately capture the efficacy of treatments for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. Arch Dermatol Res. 2020;312(10):725-730. doi:10.1007/s00403-020-02071-4
- Dhaliwal S, Rybak I, Ellis SR, et al. Prospective, randomized, double-blind assessment of topical bakuchiol and retinol for facial photoageing. Br J Dermatol. 2019;180(2):289-296. doi:10.1111/bjd.16918
- Chaudhuri RK, Bojanowski K. Bakuchiol: a retinol-like functional compound revealed by gene expression profiling and clinically proven to have anti-aging effects. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2014;36(3):221-230. doi:10.1111/ics.12117
- Narda M, Brown A, Muscatelli-Groux B, Grimaud JA, Granger C. Epidermal and dermal hallmarks of photoaging are prevented by treatment with night serum containing melatonin, bakuchiol, and ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate: in vitro and ex vivo studies. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2020;10(1):191-202. doi:10.1007/s13555-019-00349-8
- Sytenol® A. https://sytheonltd.com/sytenol-a/